Friday 5 July 2013

Leek and Pear Filo Tart


When I read about a quiche/tart recipe with leek and pear in Fee's blog, I knew I had to try this combo. But you know me I always have to put my own twist on things. And since I've wanted to try a tarte/quice using filo pastry for ages, I was going to try it with this recipe.

(serves 4-6)

250 g filo pastry
250 g semi-skimmed organic milk
2 whole organic eggs
3 organic egg yolks
2 heaped tbsp soured cream
100 g pancetta
1 leek
1/2 abate pear or 1 conference pear
1/2 roll of goats cheese (75 g)
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
nutmeg
50 - 60 g butter

Do all the prep work first: Finely slice the leek and pear, chop the pancetta. Mix milk, eggs, egg yolks and soured cream and season with pepper, a little salt and nutmeg. Thinly slice the goats cheese, then cut the slices in half. Melt the butter without browing it. This is for brushing the filo pastry.

Heat a tiny amount of olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the leek and pancetta until the pancetta starts to brown and the leek starts to soften. Add the sliced pear and cook till lightly brown. Take of the heat and set aside.

Lightly brush the first two sheets of filo with melted butter and place side by side on a rectangular baking sheet, so they overlap but also extend over the sides. At the end, we'll crunch up the overhang to form wonderful crust. Carry on brushing and layering the filo pastry two sheets at the time.

Spread the leek, pear and pancetta mix evenly onto the pastry. Season with a touch of pepper. Add the goats cheese and pour on the egg mix. Scrunch up the overhanging pastry and give it one last brush with melted butter.

In a preheated oven, bake at 200 °C/gas mark 5 for 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold with a crunchy green salad.

I dressed my cut and come again salad from the garden with my favourite vinaigrette and added the other half of the pear.



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great variation. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! But I'm not familiar with the pear you mentioned. Is this a pear also used to bake, like in a pear torte?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jesh, glad you like the recipe. It doesn't have to an Abate pear, which is an Italian pear variety, which just happens to be my favourite. They're usually really big as well, 250g+, which won't mean anything to you in LA. ;) Just use any pear you like. If they're "normal"-sized, simply use a whole pear. :) Bon appétit Rebekka

      Delete